March is Animal Poisoning Prevention Month.Thousands of pets suffer from the accidental ingestion of harmful substances every year. As such we thought we’d share this article on symptoms to look out as well as tips on what to do if you suspect that your pet has been poisoned.

The symptoms of a poisoned pet depend on the type of poison that he/ she has been exposed to.

The list of possible poisons include everyday household items like dishwasher detergent, furniture polish, drain cleaners, insecticides. Ingesting things like garbage, lead paint, toxic plants, strychnine, tobacco, aspirin, alcohol, gasoline, rat and mouse poisons, antifreeze – the list goes on!

Even something, that to us seem innocent, chocolate, can be poisonous to your pet! Some frogs, toads, spiders and snakes could also be the culprits behind your little fluff ball being poisoned.

It’s also vitally important to read the labels on pet shampoos, tick & flea medication and dips. Cats, for example, can be poisoned by dog flea medications and it is also possible to overdose your animal if treatments are given too regularly.

Some signs that could indicate that your pet has been poisoned include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Blood in the stool
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Bruising
  • Nosebleeds
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Inability to urinate


The above symptoms can be detected in your pet immediately or could be delayed in some instances depending on what poison your pet has been exposed to and the amount of poison consumed.

What to do if you think your pet has been poisoned?

1. Scan the Surroundings

See if there’s any evidence of what poison your pet may have ingested and remove this from your pets reach
If possible, collect a sample whatever your pet may have vomited up. Your vet may use this for sample testing.

2. Stay away from home remedies

DO NOT give your pet milk, peanut butter, vegetable oil, salt or aspirin. In a panicked state of mind we often think these things will help when in fact our pets can experience adverse reactions from these remedies without veterinary instruction or supervision.
It’s also vitally important that you do not try to induce vomiting.

3. Seek your vets advise

Phone your vet, explain what’s happening and get advice on what to do.

You should never take a “wait and see” approach with suspected poisoning. If you suspect that your pet might have come into contact with a poisonous substance, it’s imperative that you get them to a vet as soon as possible.


Source: Dotsure

Recent Posts